It’s tempting to want to put all your time and effort into launching your online boutique business from Day 1. But jumping in with both feet is far riskier than working the business on the side while you hang onto the income and security of your day job.
Having a full-time job might make the process longer, but it will also give you the financial support and stability you need to be successful in the long run.
Starting Your Online Boutique Business
Just get started! You’ll need startup capital to pay for initial business expenses — you can start an online boutique with as little as $3,500. Whether you want to save up the full amount or if you want to dedicate a portion of every paycheck to your business is up to you.
To get started you’ll want to read these helpful blog posts about How to Start Your Online Boutique, Choosing a Name , Identifying Your Target Customer, Creating a Business Plan, and How to Purchase Clothes for Your Boutique.
Stay Lean But Know When to Invest
It takes money to make money and that’s an added benefit to starting your business while you still have a paycheck coming in. Take any extra money you have and invest it in your boutique business.
A good investment gets your business moving faster— anything such as generating more revenue or getting good legal or business counsel sets the stage for your boutique to be viable and support you and your dreams!
Good investments: Anything that helps you get your idea to market quickly & grow your customer base
- my group coaching program Online Boutique Success is the step-by-step guide to confidently launching an online boutique and finding raving customers in just 3 months! Learn more about OBS here.
- Buying a domain name
- Creating a website, by the way, my group coaching program Online Boutique Success shows you step-by-step how to create a professional website in just a few days (including everything from creating pages, customizing a theme, creating beautiful graphics, making discounts, adding a blog, setting up shipping, fulfilling orders and more! Click here to join the program.
- Hiring a virtual team to help with tedious tasks
- Marketing that brings in interested customers (paid ads or influencer marketing and building an email list)
Unnecessary investments: Most things that you can defer, avoid, or penny pinch
- Overhead like rent (ship packages out of your house), travel (avoid the tradeshows by using one of my wholesaler lists)
- Branding & Expensive logos (I teach a super simple method in Online Boutique Success)
- Accountants (your numbers are simple, use Quickbooks or even Google Sheets/ Microsoft Excel)
Using your time wisely during this period in your life will be the best thing you can do for yourself. When you’re putting in 40+ hours/week at your day job, that leaves a finite amount of hours to devote to your business. You may have to wake up early, work on your business during your lunch break, cut out TV, stay up late, use your weekends wisely and even use vacation days.
Write out a schedule of your weekly commitments —what can you cut during this building period?
Self Care as a Boutique Owner & Full Time Employee
With that being said it’s still important to avoid burning out. In addition to your job & business responsibilities you may have a partner and children that need your attention. I recommend setting goals for both your business and your personal life and STICKING TO THEM!
Set small and realistic objectives for your business: send out 5 influencer pitches this week, spend one hour everyday on marketing my business, create my Business Pinterest account today.
Do the same for your personal goals: spend 30 minutes reading a book for leisure, spend 15 minutes journaling, have a family picnic this Saturday. It’s integral to hold yourself accountable, while still feeling accomplished along the way.
Hire some help
Once you start growing your boutique, you’ll need to start outsourcing some help in order to make the best use of your time. You can hire a virtual assistant to help with any of the following:
- Customer Service: Answering emails and phone calls from customers.
- Social Media Management: Curating content, replying to comments, and other community management tasks.
- Research: Looking for a list of bloggers/influencers to reach out to or creating graphics you can use in a piece of content.
- Store Management: Order fulfillment, inventory management, running sales for you (you can find VAs that have experience specifically with the ecommerce platform you choose to use).
Quit at the Right Time
It’s important to understand how much you need to live and how long you realistically think it will take until you’re turning enough of a profit to pay yourself a livable salary. I suggest reviewing your monthly expenses and making cuts to things that are unnecessary during this building phase (cable, ordering food daily vs cooking & meal planning).
When you have a number in mind then you’ll know what business goals you need to meet in anticipation of your quit date. I recommend paying down as much debt as possible before leaving your job and giving yourself 6-12 months to plan an exit.
When you’re ready to take the leap, look at factors such as if the business is generating enough income consistently to cover your living expenses, whether you have emergency savings and health insurance coverage.
Ready to start your online boutique?
You don’t have to figure it all out on your own!
I’m hosting a free masterclass called:
3 THINGS EVERY ASPIRING ONLINE BOUTIQUE OWNER NEEDS TO KNOW!
I’m going to be sharing how I was able to become my own boss, work from home, create my own schedule and make an income doing what I love everyday… even though I had absolutely no idea what I was doing when I got started.
✔️If you feel confused, or frustrated on your journey to starting an online boutique then you need to be on this masterclass.
✔️If you’ve said “I just don’t know where to start”, then you need to be on this masterclass.
✔️If you feel lost or stuck with the things you’ve done so far (but still don’t have an actual online boutique to show for it) then you need to be on this masterclass.
So click the button below to sign up for this FREE online masterclass using Facebook Messenger.