Choosing a name for your online boutique business can be hard. I’ve compiled a few tips that you should keep in mind when creating unique online boutique names. I’ve also included a brainstorming exercise for you to complete so that you can get one step closer to actually starting an online boutique and ticking this task off of your checklist!
Here are a few things to keep in mind when brainstorming business names for your online boutique:
- Identify how you want your customers to feel when they hear the name. Will it be descriptive of your products or more abstract? i.e: Forever 21 (feels youthful), Red Dress Boutique (they sell more than just red dresses; but the story is that every woman should have a red dress in her closet), Morning Lavender (feels feminine and beautiful).
- Are there other people using the name? If so it might be best to look for another name for your boutique. You want your online boutique name to be unforgettable and help you stand out from your competition—not accidentally send them your customers!
- Is it too trendy? Avoid slang terms. As cool as it sounds today, you’ll regret that choice in 5 years.
- Is the .com domain available? Go to Namecheckr to see if the domain name and social media usernames are available. Having your boutique name as the domain (i.e: Morning Lavender & www.morninglavender.com) makes it very easy for customers to find your boutique online. I purchase all of my domains from Namecheap. Why? They include FREE domain privacy protection with each purchase. No nickle-and-dime treatment.
Buy your domain name from Namecheap.
- Is the name easy to read? Online boutique names that are hard to pronounce or with uncommon spellings can be difficult for potential customers to remember. If you decide to use an uncommon name, then also purchase the domains for the common spellings and redirect them all to your main site.
- Is the name short and simple? Having a short, cute and/or sassy name is great for several reasons: It’s memorable, easy to pronounce, and effortlessly fits in the header of your online store’s homepage. You want to avoid having a super long name.
- Is it ‘stop scroll worthy’? Ask yourself if your proposed business name would make your target customer stop in the middle of scrolling Instagram and want to click on your name to learn more about you and what you have to offer.
- Can you legally use the name? Make sure you’re legally allowed to use the business name you’ve come up with and that it has not been trademarked by anyone else. If you do, you’ll have to change rebrand if/when they come after you. Go to The United States Patent and Trademark Office’s website, they have a free database called TESS that’s simple to search. Just put in the name you’re thinking about and look to see if there are LIVE trademarks. If you do see it, it’s best to cross it out in your list of online boutique name ideas. If you don’t see anything pop up or you see DEAD trademarks pop up you can use the name for your business.
BRAINSTORMING EXERCISE FOR UNIQUE BUSINESS NAME IDEAS:
Make a list of words/numbers that are meaningful to you (you can include names of your children, birthdays, anniversaries, pets, spouse, parents, grandparents, etc), then describe the feelings you want your customers to experience when they are in contact with your brand.
Once you have about 20 words, start pairing different words together.
Pro Tip: Use a thesaurus to come up with more words.
*Bonus Tip: Another tip to help you come up with some online boutique name ideas is to translate a word to French or Spanish OR use first letters to substitute for a full name. Example: your daughter’s name is Lillian, use L, “elle” or “ella” as you begin pairing words.
Keep pairing your list of words together and playing around with possibilities until something speaks to you.
Narrow it down your to a few of your favorite names and then go to Namecheckr to see if the domain name and social media accounts are available.
Once you have decided on a name among your list online boutique names, it’s time to take action and create the boutique of your dreams!
Ready to start your online boutique?
You don’t have to figure it all out on your own!
I’m hosting a free masterclass called:
How To FINALLY Launch Your Dream Online Boutique In The Next 3 Months… Even If You’ve Never Sold Anything Online Before!
Learn the EXACT framework that helped me become my own boss, work from home, create my own schedule and make an income doing what I love everyday… without having a business degree, years of retail experience or a huge social media following.
If you feel confused, frustrated, stuck or completely lost about how to start an online boutique, then this training is for you.
So click the button below to sign up for instant access to this FREE online training!